Functions & Objectives
The main objective of the Department is to scrutinize and accord sanction for the implementation of the plans/schemes/policies related to the critical task of (a) Geological investigation/exploration of minerals (b) administration of mines and minerals by the Directorate of Mineral Resources. The main activities of the Directorate are:-
- Systematic exploration of mineral deposits for preparing mineral inventory.
- Development and conservation of minerals.
- Encourage value addition of minerals through promotion of mineral based industries.
- Strengthen mineral administration.
- Enforcement of mineral laws and rules.
- Collection of royalty/cess to generate revenue.
- Ensure scientific mining, safety & welfare measures.
- Contribution by way of Grant-in-Aid and share capital to the Meghalaya Mineral Development. Corporation(MMDC) for mineral development activities.